I was recently a guest on an Addiction Support podcast. Take a listen!
I have been directly affected by addiction. I lost my cousin, Jessica Cook, in 2006 to a drug overdose and have since had others near and dear to me battle addiction. There needs to be a larger voice and more easily accessible resources out there for the families of addicts.
It is my hope to use my words to raise awareness about drug addiction and its direct effect on not only the addict, but the addict’s family. I am hoping with each article I write on addiction, I will slowly but surely continue to chip away at the shame and antiquated stereotypes still attached to addiction.
Need help with substance abuse or mental health issues? In the U.S., call 800-662-HELP (4357) for the SAMHSA National Helpline.
My articles on addiction can be found below:
- What You Learn From Loving an Addict– Huffington Post
- Lessons I learned From Loving a Drug Addict – The Advertiser
- Heroin Kills Teen, Cousin Pens Letter – Asbury Park Press
- Everything I’ve Wanted to Say to My Cousin Since She Overdosed – Elite Daily
- The Other Side of Addiction – An Essay Series
I want to share your story about addiction. I am of the belief that your story MAY change someone else’s — that one person’s story can give a struggling individual or family member the strength to persevere through hard times. Learn more.